With increasing numbers of Internet connected devices gathering data on all aspects of our lives, as well as controlling physical devices which are Internet enabled, it is important that we protect these devices from tampering and that the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the data they exchange is assured. Encrypted data, integrity of data, and authentication of devices and users are core requirements for secure IoT.
Join industry and academic speakers for the next meetup focusing on 'IoT Cybersecurity'. The event is for anyone with an interest in IoT (Internet of Things) and data across the region, everyone is welcome (please register to attend).
Date: Thursday 6th February
Location: Cantor Atrium, Sheffield Hallam University
SPEAKERS: (10 min talks)
1. John Clark - Professor of Computer and Information Security, University of Sheffield and Pitch-In Project Lead
2. Dr Jims Marchang - Lecturer/Cyber Lead, Sheffield Hallam University - Blockchain and IoT
3. Mike Faulks - CTO, Ioetec - Challenges in securing resource constrained IoT devices at the edge
4. Neil Richardson - Founder, Samurai Security - Penetration testing IoT
5. Robin Kennedy - Cyber Security Knowledge Transfer Manager, KTN - The Cyber Security Academic Startup Accelerator Programme.
The meetup directly follows the monthly Things Network gathering at 17:00-18:00. Anyone is welcome to join this discussion regarding Sheffield's LoRaWAN network with the meeting lead, Steve Jubb. Separate tickets available via the booking page.
Code of Conduct:
We will follow Sheffield Digital's code of conduct for meetups - sheffield.digital
More details: www.meetup.com
About Sheffield IoT Meetup
Sheffield IoT Meetup is for those interested in the Internet of Things - everyone is welcome!
Our aims are to:
- Create a vibrant group around IoT and cybersecurity that enables individuals and organisations to share their capability and stimulate discussion and collaboration (sales-type pitches are discouraged).
- Enable real-world IoT applications, through facilitating technology research/development and commercial progress.
- Help position Sheffield as a leading IoT centre and lay the groundwork for larger events/activities that reinforce this reputation.
The meetup is led by:
Ioetec: A Sheffield based IoT start-up working to improve cyber security for IoT devices
With sponsorship from:
Pitch-In: A collaborative project, led by the University of Sheffield, connecting capabilites to support IoT adoption
Additional supporters include:
Things Network Sheffield, SmartSheffield, IoT Security Foundation